Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Shirley Sherrod Affair

I think it was Davey Crockett who said “Make sure you’re right, then go ahead.” In the Shirley Sherrod fiasco the Obama administration, and especially Secretary Tom Vilsack, appear to have skipped the first step of that advice.

Let’s see, the Right Wing media wouldn’t lie would it? If Fox News or Andrew Breitbart told me the sun came up in the East today, I’d go check, and so should everyone else.

So-called Conservative media outlets are famous not only for slanting what they call “news,” but also for outright lying. Fox News has been caught red handed on any number of occasions editing video in order to give a totally misleading impression of events. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me a thousand times and I must be a Tea Party Republican.

How can we expect the American electorate to be skeptical and avoid rushing to judgment before it has all the facts if our so-called leaders aren’t capable of doing that?

Still, it’s more forgivable to be fooled by a lie than to be the one telling a lie.

No comments: