Saturday, July 03, 2010

On to the Semi Finals

Spain bested Paraguay 1-0 on a goal in the 82nd minute while young and fast German legs shredded a suspect Argentine defense to run away with their game 4-0.

After running my morning errands I turned on the Germany v. Argentina game with the score still 1-0, and just before things started to come apart. I watched Germany put three in the net basically by using pure speed to out gun an Argentine defense that at times looked simply over matched.

Two goals within 6 minutes at 67 and 73 minutes pretty much put the game out of reach and Germany added the icing at 88 minutes.

So, Tuesday we get Holland v. a Suarezless Uruguay and Wednesday we get Germany v. Spain.

I picked 3 out of 4 Quarter Final games only missing Brazil's loss to Holland. Me and 83% of the rest of the world missed that one. That leaves me 10-2 for the Knockout stage and 21-7 overall. One might almost think I know what I'm talking about.

So where do we go from here?

Both of these games are tough to call. All logic says The Netherlands defeats Uruguay but the emotions of the moment are difficult to gauge. Suarez may have to watch from the bench but Diego Forlan will be there and that man is INTENSE. The Dutch had a huge victory against Brazil, could they suffer a let down? Emotionally I'll be cheering for Uruguay but I suspect the Dutch will prevail.

In the other game, who the hell knows. Yes the Germans looked fantastic against the English and the Argentines, but this is Espana. Spain's defense isn't suspect and the Germans aren't going to be able to freely counter attack like they did against the Brits and Argentina. Still, they looked too good and they are brimming with confidence. I'm going with the Germans to upset Spain.

So, to summarize:

The Netherlands over Uruguay
Germany over Spain

In the meantime, the luckless Ghana team got to be the special guests of Nelson Mandela at his home. Even Asamoah Gyan was smiling when he met the great man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.