Thursday, July 08, 2010

Really Dumb Ideas

I have two really dumb ones to talk about today.

The first is one of little or no consequence but simply annoying. Blizzard has decided to transition to using real subscriber names on its forums including the World of Warcraft forums.

This has got to be the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard of in a long time. I understand the problem of Trolls, Flamers etc., but this is simply going to drive people off the forums. Yes anonymity allows some people to act like assholes but it also allows others to freely express opinions they might not be willing to have their names attached to for any number of legitimate reasons.

Another major problem with this idea is it violates the compartmentalization that I have taken great care to organize my life around. My work persona is not my home persona, is not my blogger persona and is not my gamer persona. I would prefer it if people couldn’t trace me from on-line to real life and from real life to on-line. My name is fairly unique and it would be very easy for someone to locate me once they have it.

The second really dumb idea comes from the not so great state of Louisiana. Governor Bobby Jindel has signed into law a bill allowing concealed weapons to be carried in church.

WTF is wrong with these people that think it’s necessary to have a gun with them everywhere they go? The bigger the gun, the smaller the dick I’m betting. This country is rapidly becoming screwed up beyond all recognition.

Here’s hoping someone blows Jindel’s family jewels off, in church, with a once concealed weapon.

No comments: