Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Illegal Immigration

Some people are not happy with my position opposing the Federal Government’s law suit against Arizona over its controversial immigration law. Supposedly, as an avowed Left Wing Pinko Card Carrying Member of the ACLU, I’m supposed to be storming the state house in Phoenix foaming at the mouth in indignation.

Sorry, but it doesn’t work that way.

First of all, I don’t follow any party line. I take each issue on its own merits and sometimes that means going against the grain. Granted, it doesn’t happen too often, but it does happen.

Second of all, while I haven’t attacked the Arizona law directly, I have alluded here and there to the fact that I consider it ill advised and bigoted. Not a very strong condemnation perhaps but, given that I believe gaining control of our borders for both economic and security reasons needs to be a priority, it’s the most I can do.

I sympathize with the plight of Arizona, Texas and California, states which find themselves with a severe illegal immigration problem that the federal government is unable, or unwilling, to address.

Yes, I stand by equal protection under the law but a corollary of that is I expect respect for the law and enforcement of the law. If a law is unworthy of respect or enforcement it shouldn’t be a law.

I also sympathize with illegal immigrants that have established permanent roots in this country and are hard working contributors to society. I think some provision should be made for them to obtain legal residency and, eventually, citizenship.

In other words I think immigration reform is long over due but, and this is a big but, I don’t see how you put a period on that problem without first gaining control of the borders so that the country doesn‘t find itself right back in the same situation 10 or 20 years from now.

No comments: