Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Giants at Oakland

Well the boys managed to bring home the NFC East title with a 30-21 win over Kerry Collins and the Raiders while the Redskins took out the Eagles. Ok, so my prediction rate for this season has been absolutely awful. That's why I don't get the big bucks.

I have to take my hat off, again, to Tiki Barber. A 95 yard run to break a 75 year old Giants record and another 200+ yard day, the third this season. He's only the 3rd running back to have three 200+ yard games in one season. Hey, let's not forget the goal line stand in the 4th quarter. Four cracks from the one yard line and the Raiders come away with zip. What I don't understand is the Raiders did about zero on the ground all day while they were very successful throught the air. So why they didn't they throw the ball at least once down on the goal line?

In the Washington vs. Philadelphia game I didn't understand Andy Reid's decision to replace Mike McMahon with Koy Detmer in the 4th quarter. Ok, Mike had just put the ball on the ground for a big turnover, but he was moving the ball against the Redskins. Unless he was hurting, I think he deserved the shot at pulling the game out. I mean, Koy Detmer?

The win means I get one more game this year next Sunday when the Giants take on Carolina. I expect it to be a painful afternoon given the current list of injuries on the Giants. Anybody out there want to try out for linebacker? I hear the Giants are holding an open casting call this week.

Despite my terrible track record I will step up and gaze into my crystal football helmet to determine the winners in the first round of the play-offs.

AFC
Pittsburg at Cincinnatti - This is a tricky one but I'm going to go with Cincinnatti. I think they can score enough points against the Steeler defense to overcome their defense giving up more points than it should.

Jacksonville at New England - Tom Brady. Enough said? New England brings down the Jaguars.

NFC
Carolina at New York - I have to go with Carolina. I think the Giants' injuries at linebacker are going to let Carolina score a bunch of points and I can't see Manning and company managing to respond under the pressure of the play-offs. Then again, if Tiki runs wild, you never know. I think John Fox will focus on keeping Barber under control and force the Giants to rely on Manning. I doubt the second year quarterback is going to be able to hack it.

Washington at Tampa Bay - The Redskins are just playing too well. They had something of a letdown against the Eagles and still won. I think Chris Simms is going to have his hands full with the Redskins defense. Two or three big turnovers will help the skins get by Tampa Bay.

Ok, I made my predictions. I'll stop by the A&P on Friday to put in a stock of Humble Pie.

No comments: