Thursday, January 19, 2006

Hillary vs. Condi?

The U.S. is ready for a female president. At least I think it is. I’ve made a number of references before to Rice and Clinton which were generally uncomplimentary. I will now admit that I was just being a male chauvinist pig and I wasn’t necessarily serious.

So let’s talk 2008. Folks that I am keeping an eye on at the moment include Hillary Clinton and Russ Feingold on the Democratic side and Condoleeza Rice, Bill Frist and John McCain on the Republican side. I was watching Tom DeLay at one point, but given his current legal issues, I would say his chances, thank God, are toast.

Condoleeza Rice – Rank = 5
At the moment I would find it impossible to vote for the individual that was the National Security Advisor during the prelude to the Iraq War. Let’s face it, there were no weapons of mass destruction, U.S. Intelligence knew it and told the administration and Condi was one of Bush’s closest advisors.

So what happened here? Either (a) she was too stupid to understand what the intelligence was saying, (b) didn’t believe the intelligence, (c) advised Dubyah to ignore the intelligence and invade Iraq anyway or (d) advised Dubyah to heed what the intelligence was saying and not invade Iraq but Bush ignored her advice.

If (a) I question her intelligence, if (b) I question her judgment, if (c) I question her honesty and if (d) I question her integrity because she didn’t resign in protest. Regardless of the situation this is not someone I want as President.

Bill Frist – Rank = 4
My major problem with Frist has been his fawning over the extreme right including going so far as to suggest that Intelligent Design should be taught alongside evolution. He also appears to have some possible legal problems.

I think I would have a huge problem with Frist, but I’m not as strongly against him as I am against Rice.

Hillary Clinton – Rank = 3
While I find the idea of Bill Clinton, probably again harassing White House interns, puttering around the capitol as first hubby a tad bizarre, I really don’t have a major problem with Hillary other than she seemed to get gung ho about the war for a while which turned me off. Let's remember I was against the war before there was a war. I'm also not sure she has the necessary legislative experience.

John McCain – Rank =2
I think McCain would make a great man to have as President even if he is a Republican. I think he would make a better President as a Democrat because I doubt that a moderate Republican would get the necessary co-operation from his own party. That might make it difficult for McCain to be effective.

Russ Feingold – Rank =1
I’ve made no secret of my admiration for the senator from Wisconsin. I like his positions on the major issues; I like his honesty; I like the way he says what he means and means what he says and he strikes me as a very bright and likable individual.

I don’t think it’s going too far to say that Feingold reminds me of Robert Kennedy a little and Bobby would probably have been a great President.

What about electability? I think Frist is the most electable as he seems to fit the mold of recent Presidents fairly well. McCain may be too moderate to garner enough support within his own party. Rice has never been elected to public office and I find it hard to believe that her first election victory will be the Presidential election and Hillary and Feingold may be too liberal to put together an effective enough coalition. Of course a lot depends upon who they’re running against.

Still a ways to go before things become serious, but the next election is going to be an important one so we might as well start thinking about it now. Just thinking about Rice or Frist as President makes me reach for that Amsterdam real estate booklet. I wonder how long it takes to become a Dutch citizen?

1 comment:

Matthew Bamberg said...

I agree with your Frist assessment.