Friday, January 27, 2006

The Hamas Election Victory

You give people the right to vote and they’ll tell you what they think. The question is, what is it that the Palestinian people are saying?

I certainly don’t know but I hope somebody is trying to figure that out as the answer might turn out to be fairly important.

I think that there is both good and bad in the Hamas election victory. On the good side is that it brings Hamas into the mainstream diplomatic process. I find it hard to believe that they will continue on the radical path that has led them to be labeled a terrorist organization in the face of the election victory. Unfortunately what we may see is a splintering with a smaller splinter group continuing the violence even as the Hamas leadership tries to open diplomatic channels.

On the down side is that any event that puts power into religion’s hands is big trouble. Religion, especially the exclusive religions like Islam and Christianity, always seem to end up being reasons for people to shoot at each other. The combination of religion and government has been, is now, and always will be a formula for disaster.

I also have to admit that I find Islam even scarier than Christianity and I trust it even less. The difference is when I look at the economies, history of political oppression and general lack of education in the Arab world I can understand why they cling to religion. What the heck is the excuse of the religious fruitcakes in the U.S.?

No comments: