Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Impact of Overturning Roe v. Wade

While I’m not quite ready to conclude that it’s inevitable, I have to conclude that it is certainly well within the range of feasibility. Samuel Alito will be confirmed to the Supreme Court and I’m certain a case will work its way to the court, before Dubyah’s term of office has expired, which will provide the opportunity to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Then what? The Right Wing, and especially the Christian Right, has been gunning for Roe ever since it was decided and they finally have their goal in sight after some 32 years. The rest of us haven’t been too vigilant and this is the result.

However if the Right Wing thinks that the overturning of Roe will be the end I suspect that they are quite wrong. I expect that to mark the beginning.

The end of Roe is going to result in tragic chaos. Depending upon who you believe, some 60% to 70% of the American population supports access to abortion. Add to that the inevitable sob stories about woman caught in the transition and I expect the backlash to be spectacular.

If the war in Iraq is still going on, and I can’t see how it would be resolved by then, and the assault on science continues unabated with more confrontations like Dover Pa. and Kansas, these questions can be expected to fuel the fire to a nice white hot intensity.

In other words I expect the country to pretty much tear itself apart making the conflicts over the Vietnam War, Civil Rights, and perhaps even Slavery, look like a love fest.

Well, if nothing else it will keep us busy fighting each other and prevent any more military adventures like Iraq. I figure I’ve got two options, either start helping things get organized or relocate to Amsterdam. I’d consider relocating to Toronto but that’s still too close to Jesusland. Crap, I’m too old to go through this kind of nonsense.

No comments: