Thursday, January 12, 2006

Hundreds Die in Hajj Stampede

The other day I was making fun of the stoning ritual which is part of the Muslim Hajj. With this report from the AP however it moved into the realm of the tragic.

The AP reports that as thousands of pilgrims rushed to complete the symbolic stoning and purge themselves of sin, they tripped over some luggage which resulted in a crush that killed 345 pilgrims and injured about 1,000 more.

So tell me, was this the devil protecting himself from being stoned? I may find religions absurd but I don’t wish any harm to those that disagree with me on that. So where was Allah the just and merciful when all of this was occurring? No, don’t bother, I already know the answer, God works in mysterious ways right?

When are we going to grow up enough to discard the absurd superstitions that we have saddled ourselves with throughout history?

Let me clue you in on something, assuming there is a God, which is an unanswerable question, he created us with the gifts of intelligence and the ability to reason so I have to assume that he expected us to use them! As soon as somebody, or something, suggests that you forego their use, and all religions do, you can be certain they’re asking for something that is incompatible with the intentions of God. Faith is not something to be admired. It’s a species of evil that needs to be eradicated along with the ignorance that it perpetuates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess there must be some truth to that old saying that those on mass Hajjes shouldn't throw stones.