Friday, December 30, 2005

Heading into 2006

THE END IS NIGH!! At least the end of 2005 is nigh. It seems like only yesterday that I was trying to explain why the so-called millennium bug wasn’t going to cripple civilization and now we’re heading into 2006.

Rats. The vacation I always take at the end of the year is coming to a close and I’m looking forward to returning to work less than usual, a LOT less than usual. I seriously need to figure out a way to retire.

Oh well enough of that silliness. So what can we look forward to in 2006? Well, January brings us both the NFL playoffs and the confirmation hearings for Judge Samuel Alito.

I’m predicting Indianapolis and Chicago in the Super Bowl.

As for Judge Sammy, it seems like every scrap of paper available with Alito’s name on it is being released to the public by somebody, but to be honest I haven’t seen anything that shed significantly new light on the question. Did anyone really expect a lawyer working for conservative administrations to be taking liberal positions?

I will admit that I'm nervous about rumors surrounding his abortion access position as well as hints relating to his position on the separation of church and state and I really would like to know more about both.

I’m looking forward to the Senate Judiciary committee hearings. They should be interesting. I’m pretty sure Alito will end up being confirmed, then we’ll see how things progress. I still have hopes that he won’t turn out to be another Scalia.

No comments: