Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Happy Holidays from Dubyah

The Washington Post reports that the President walked right into the “Happy Holidays” vs. “Merry Christmas” question by sending out holiday cards that wish his supporters a happy “holiday season.”

I haven’t received mine yet. Do you suppose the Post Office lost it? Could it be that Dubyah doesn’t appreciate me calling him a disgrace to the oval office or is it just that the members of the meandering herd are too far below the radar of important folk like Dubyah?

Predictably a number of demagogues on the Christian Right have gone ballistic over the “happy holidays” sentiment being used in lieu of “Merry Christmas.” If the intent behind including a verse from Psalm 28 on the cards was to prevent an uproar, it didn’t work.

Since I doubt there were too many non-Christians on Dubyah’s list, this strikes me as a pretty dumb move. A spokesperson for the White House justified the neutral greeting, unsurprisingly, by saying that the greetings are sent to people of many faiths but, also unsurprisingly, this didn’t mollify the conservative Christians moaning about attacks on Christmas.

I think the basic problem is that the Christian Right doesn’t recognize the concept of religious equality. They see their brand of Christianity as being inherently superior to all other religions and won’t rest until it’s treated that way. And if you don’t accord it the special recognition that they think it deserves, that’s the same thing as persecution because you’re denying their religion its rights.

What I find really comical is that if you took all the complainers on the Christian Right about the “happy holidays” thing, they would probably not be willing to consider each other’s brand of Christianity as being equal either. I especially laugh at those idiots of the Catholic League that haven’t figured out yet that Conservative Evangelical Protestants on the Christian Right consider Catholicism the religion of the Anti-Christ!

On a side note I’m having some problem figuring out which verse from Psalm 28 would have been even vaguely appropriate. The only one I can imagine would be verse 7, “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.”

If they put that on the card they might as well have said “Merry Christmas.”

No comments: