Tuesday, October 18, 2005

HBO’s Rome Episode 8

Toot, toot! Make way for the express! Arrival in Egypt, settle the dispute between Ptolemy and Cleopatra, get it together with Cleopatra, Caesarion is born, get ready to head back to Rome.

One episode, slam, bang, badda bing, badda boom. Whew, moving right along aren’t we?

Again the title of the episode has historical significance, but little or nothing refers to the babies name in the show itself. Not that it matters all that much, but I just find it a little strange.

Similarly, I wonder what happened to Cornelia and offspring? I guess the writers didn’t think it important enough to tie up that loose end. Still, I happened to enjoy this episode perhaps the most since the first one. I thought the portrayal of Cleopatra was first rate. I can’t wait until she gets together with Antony. What a pair they’re going to make!

I loved the heads on the spikes approach. It seemed appropriate somehow. Octavian was missing for a second episode in a row and about the only thing going on back at the ranch was the affair between Octavia and Servilia. I didn’t quite get the implications of the reunion between Brutus and Servilia. I’m sure the director was trying to send some type of message, but I missed it completely. Guess I’ll have to wait and see what developed.

Two weeks until the next new show. HBO is going to have all 8 episodes scheduled during the week and Sunday I believe the last three will be broadcast. I’m not certain if I want to see everything again. I’ll see how things work out.

No comments: