Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Harriet Miers Nomination

When Dubyah initially announced Harriet Miers as his nominee to replace Sandra Day O'Conner my initial reaction was "WHO?" After hearing some of the howls of disappointment from some on the Right, including Pat Buchannan, I thought for a second or two, "hey, maybe this won't be so bad." Then I remembered who nominated her.

Todays article in the Washington Post entitled "Church ties could shed light on Miers’ thinking:
Faith in Jesus has shaped court pick’s personal values"
REALLY scared the hell out of me. As a member of the Valley View Christian Church, she is committed, as a matter of religious faith, that abortion is murder, homosexuality is evil and that the bible is the literal truth.

What this could mean to YOU is:

1) A repeal of Roe vs Wade
2) A return of the anti-sodomy laws and forget gay marriage or civil unions
3) Creationsim being taught alongside evolution in the public schools
4) The display of Christian religious icons in public buildings and schools
5) Your tax dollars supporting parochial schools and other religious organizations

Ratification of Miers for the high court, given the current precarious balance, could be a catastrophe for the separation of church and state in this country. Miers is probably of the opinion, also as a matter of religious faith, that the separation of church and state is WRONG in a "Christian Country." Now we're not supposed to be anything but secular, but this appointment would be a big step toward a Christian Theocracy in this country that, by the way, will only have room for a certain brand of Christianity. If you're Catholic, Eastern Orthodox or Liberal Protestant, I wouldn't expect any of those tax dollars to come your way and I'd begin worrying about Freedom of Religion too. At least YOUR freedom of religion. You can be sure that the Valley View Christian Church brand will do quite well.

As for me, an Agnostic Deist, I'm checking out employment and housing opportunities in Amsterdam. I figure I'll be lucky if I don't get burnt at the stake.

No comments: