Monday, October 10, 2005

HBO’s Rome, Episode 7

Wow, the 7th episode already? Seems like only yesterday I was wondering what the plot of the show was going to be. Oh yeah, IT WAS yesterday!

This episode was a major disappointment. I didn’t get the whole get shipwrecked, miss the battle of Pharsalus, make a raft out of bodies, float to the mainland, find Pompey and then let Pompey go! Speaking of Pharsalus, ya think maybe they could have made a tad more fuss over it. It was the Battle of Pharsalus! I don’t even think the name was mentioned although it was the title of the episode. Can't have the public learning any history now can we?

And I told Pompey, don’t go to Egypt, you’ll regret it, but does he listen to me? No, he doesn’t. Ahh well, knowing the general history of the events does take some of the suspense out of the show. So now I guess we meet Cleopatra and Ptolemy. Let’s hope they don’t screw this up.

In the meantime, back on the ranch, Octavia is in a lesbian affair with Servilia. I didn’t see that one coming until at least two minutes into the episode. I wonder how Octavian is making out? He was missing from this episode. Historically I believe he joins Caesar in his second Spanish campaign, but since they skipped the first Spanish campaign, who knows? I would think they could spend three or four episodes in Egypt if they wanted to, but they seem to be in some kind of hurry. I wonder why?

I’m enjoying the show, but I think it could have been a lot better. Everything seems compressed. They’re not taking time to develop situations like they could. Even the relationship between Brutus and Caesar isn’t really being developed and I think Caesar could have been a little less thrilled to see Brutus and Cicero after the battle. I know historically that Caesar tended to not pursue personal vendettas, but I’m sure he used his advantage to gain a concession or two.

Oh well, we’ll see how it goes next week. I wonder how many episodes there are going to be? Caesar crossed the Rubicon in 49 BCE ("iacta alea est"). The battle of Pharsalus occurred in 48 BCE, but of course they skipped Caesar’s campaign in Spain. We still have the Cleopatra episode and I assume the chasing down of Cato in Africa. Then perhaps the second Spanish campaign before the ides of March in 44 BCE. So they COULD spend years on this thing or we could be at the Battle of Actium by Christmas.

No comments: