Tuesday, August 11, 2026

My Credit Limit

I was reviewing my charges on my Bank of America credit card. I have two credit cards. A Chase card and a Bank of America card. I've had the Chase card for a very long time and it's our "online card." The BoA card is our every day card.

Since the Chase card has been around for so long, and I used to use it on business trips when necessary, the credit limit grew over time to $24,800. Don't ask me why it's such a funny number because I don't know. The BoA card credit limit was always $15,000.

From time to time I considered increasing the BoA credit limit, but I never bothered because I never felt that it was really necessary. While I was reviewing my charges, I happened to glance at the credit limit and it was $26,000. 

I didn't request this. I never received a notification that the limit was being increased. This is also a bit of a weird number. Why not $25,000?

So how did my credit limit increase by $11,000? My Chase card used to go up when I came close to, or exceeded, the credit limit. They would just bump it and send me a notice to that effect. But I haven't been close to the limit on the BoA card this year. The highest amount was $7,828.

I have two theories.

The first is that they made me change the way my autopay of the Chase card worked and I got into a bit of a kerfuffle trying to explain that I want the card immediately when it closed and not wait a month until the due. Eventually we figured out a way I could do that.

The second is I had just gotten my yearly "how are we and remember we love you" call from BoA and the agent mentioned that our use of the card had been higher than usual. I did explain that was a temporary thing because, you now, basement leak expenses and all.

In neither case did anyone ask me about increasing the limit. 

Anyway, I now have a total of $50,800 in credit limits on my two cards. I can't wait to see what this increase does to my FICO score.

No comments: