Tuesday, March 26, 2013

In the meantime, over on Saturn...

Tony Perkins, of the Family Research Council (FRC), is warning of dire consequences if the court goes too far on the Gay Marriage question. According to Perkins  "...if you get government out of whack with where the people are and it goes too far, you create revolution. I think you could see a social and cultural revolution if the court goes too far on this."

A couple of observations.

First, yo Tony, have you been keeping up with the latest polls? The majority now supports Gay Marriage and opponents are, literally, dying off. The younger you are, the more likely you are to support marriage equality.

There's that bubble of delusion again. Conservatives simply do not seem to be able to differentiate between reality and what they want to believe is reality.

Granted, there is a significant regional variation here. The South would probably go bonkers but the rest of the country, including the generally practical Midwest, would probably simply shrug and move on.

The second point is there's almost no chance of a broad, sweeping decision here. I still expect a narrow compromise sort of decision. I don't think this court has the courage to do anything else.

A "social and cultural revolution" indeed. I seriously wonder what planet Perkins lives on?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I've truly loved surfing around your blog posts. After all I'll
be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write once more soon!


Feel free to visit my website; オークリー激安