Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pope Francis I

Much to my surprise the Cardinals have elected a non-European pope.

The newly elected pontiff, Francis I, is Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina and he's a Jesuit to boot.

The election went surprisingly fast. So fast in fact that one has to wonder whether the whole affair, resignation and election, wasn't part of some sort of pre-negotiated plan.

No, I have no evidence to support that conjecture and I'm sure it's simply my natural paranoia coming to the surface.

On the down side the man is 76 years old. That means he was born prior to World War II so I wouldn't expect any real modern ideas from him.

In 2010 he vehemently opposed the legalization of Gay Marriage in Argentina calling it a “destructive attack on God’s plan.”

He's also apparently opposed to abortion access and birth control so I wouldn't expect the church to be moving out of the 14th century anytime soon.

In other words what we have here is Benedict XVI redux as a lot of Vatican watchers predicted.

No comments: