Friday, January 11, 2013

Should Redskins Change their Name?

The mayor of Washington DC, Vincent Gray, says that if the Skins move back within the DC limits, they should consider changing the team's nickname.

According to Gray, Redskins is an offensive term for Native Americans.

I’m not a Native American so I don’t know. I’ve read that polls among Native Americans show that the majority don’t find it offensive but I don’t know how true that is. I know St. John’s University changed their name from Redmen to Red Storm a few years ago even though the Redmen name referred to their uniform color.

As a Giants fan I’ve hated the Redskins for over 50 years. The only team I hate more is the Eagles. Any year we beat the Eagles 42-7, at home, is a good year. Who cares about the Super Bowl? Beating the Eagles is what’s important! I refuse to see the movie “Silver Linings Playbook” because it’s about an Eagles fan. Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro have been dropped from my “favorite actors” list for playing Eagles fans. I’ve burned my copy of “The Hangover” because Bradley Cooper is in it.

But I digress.

I can’t imagine an NFL without the Redskins any more than I can imagine it without the Giants, Eagles, Steelers, Bears or Packers. It just wouldn’t be the same.

So, from a selfish viewpoint, I say let the Redskins name be.

No comments: