Monday, September 10, 2012

So the Conventions are Over

Given that’s it’s a presidential election year, I haven’t had a whole lot to say. This reflects my general disgust with politics in general. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still funneling dollars to the Obama campaign and I’m supporting Bob Menendez for senator in New Jersey. I’ve also been supporting Equality Maine although not recently.

Menendez is up by about 10 points. Strangely enough a campaign worker for his opponent Joseph Kyrillos called my house looking for my daughter and, since she wasn’t there, made the mistake of talking to me. I told him I wouldn’t vote for a Republican if you held a gun to my head and neither would my daughter.

The latest polls in Maine show the proposal to approve Gay Marriage leading by anywhere from 9 to 15 points as of June 2012. But if the past is any indication, I wouldn’t get too excited yet.

There are also votes to repeal the same sex marriage laws passed in Washington and Maryland. In both states polls indicate that voters are in favor of Gay Marriage but, again, I wouldn’t get too excited since Gay Marriage has never been approved at the polls. One ray of hope is that black voters, at least in Maryland, appear to be more receptive to Gay Marriage since Obama’s change of heart.

In the biggie Barack Obama came out of the conventions with about the same lead that he went in with. For all intents and purposes the race is neck and neck but, at least for the moment, Obama appears to have the inside track. Real Clear Politics (RCP) has Obama with a 2 point popular vote lead, which is well within the margin of error, and a 221-191 vote lead in the electoral college with 126 votes in 10 swing states too close to call. Romney’s problem is that Obama has slight leads in 9 of those 10 states.

Intrade has Obama 59-41.

The next big event is the presidential debate on October 3, 2012.

Obama’s problem is the Republicans will still control congress and I don’t see why they won’t continue their campaign of allowing the country to burn in order to insure Obama doesn’t succeed. Romney’s big problem is the Democrats will have at least a non-closure proof number in the senate and I suspect they’ll be just as stubborn as the Republicans.

I’ve decided that the country is pretty much toast in any event therefore I’ve decided to volunteer my services as King. I mean, what the hell, could I do any worse?

No comments: