Monday, January 24, 2011

The Super Bowl

Oh boy, 2-0 for the Championship games and 8-2 overall for the play-offs. If I didn’t know better, I’d start to think I actually know what I’m talking about.

The reality of the situation is given the “parity” that the NFL has come pretty close to achieving, every game is probably not much better than a 55-45 breakdown and in the play-offs it probably drops pretty close to a 50-50 proposition.

Still, it feels good to finally get the better of my pet goat Frankie in predicting the NFL. He’s been sulking out back ever since Roethlisberger completed that 4th quarter pass which clinched it for the Steelers.

One word about Jay Cutler, personally I would never question a player's assessment as to whether he’s too injured to play. If Jay says he couldn’t play, I believe him, and that should be the end of the discussion. I’d like to get some of the blog wusses that are complaining about him out on the field for about 15 minutes. That would be more than enough time to shut them up. Let's not forget that we're talking about the man's livlihood here and there are many more games yet to be played.

So now, ta-da, on to the Super Bowl.

The Packers are the early favorite, not because Las Vegas believes they’re the better team, but simply because of the betting patterns up until now.

To my mind Aaron Rodgers looked like a much cooled off Quarterback against the Bears defense. Roethlisberger on the other hand did what needed to be done when it needed to be done.

As for the running game, two words, Rashard Mendenhall. He gives the Steelers the balance that I think is going to desert the Packers. Yes, their running game has been better than expected during the play-offs, but I think the Steelers will shut it down.

There’s no question that Rodgers and his talented receiver corps are capable of carrying the game without much of a running attack against most teams, but I don’t think they can do it against the Steelers.

Remember the old saying, "Experience and treachery will win out over youth and talent when all the chips are on the line." Well, all the chips are on the line. The Steelers will manage just enough offense to win. Let's call it 24-20 in favor of big Ben and the Steelers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For me personally it's a very interesting content. I'd want to read more relating to this topic.