Monday, January 31, 2011

Egyptian Protests Still Going

Clearly Egyptian President Mubarak has become a man under siege. Some sources have reported that he is on the verge of giving up and resigning as President.Certainly nothing he has tried appears to have mollified the protesters. This could be big trouble.

Egypt is arguably the most religious country in the world. Open and free elections there could quite well turn the country over to the Muslim Brotherhood which is a fundamentalist Islamic group.

Democracy is not for everyone. As a matter of fact, I’m beginning to think that it’s not for anyone. I’m leaning toward an oligarchy of sorts where the right to vote is a privilege that needs to be earned rather than a right to which any idiot that happens to be born within the borders is entitled. And no, I’m not proposing a Star Troopers kind of requirement; I was thinking more along the lines of verifying basic knowledge on civics, history and how the government works.

But I digress.

Back to Egypt. Clearly Mubarak’s regime is teetering on the edge. Earlier I said that I didn’t think he was going anywhere and he is certainly fighting tooth and nail, but for every hole in plugs, two more appear to open. I still don’t think the end is a foregone conclusion but he better come up with something soon.

In the meantime I see that the under 80 IQ trailer park set, also known as the Republican Base, is blaming Obama for this. Blaming? Isn't Democracy a good thing? Oh well, never expect consistency from either a moron or a conservative. Oh, wait a minute, moron and conservative are redundant aren't they?

No comments: