Friday, June 30, 2023

Supreme Court Decisions

There were three big decisions over the last two days.

First, as expected, the Supreme Court shot down Affirmative Action at least with respect to using race as a criterion for college admission. The decision only affects race and not things such as socio-economic class or geography.

I think this was a good decision. Using race as a criterion strikes me as dangerous. If colleges can use race as a criterion for admission then why can't companies use it as a criterion for hiring? If colleges really want "diversity" then I would think that socio-economic class would be a better criterion anyway.

The second had to do with a web designer that didn't want to do websites for LGBTQ+ clients because it (1) violated her freedom of religion and (2) violated her freedom of speech because it would force her to "say" things that she didn't believe.

The whole case was a bit of a stretch in my opinion but the court ruled that she could decline based upon freedom of speech. I don't know about this one. It seems to me that it opens the door for all sorts of abuse.

The third case was the long awaited decision on Biden's student loan forgiveness program. I thought the court might let this stand but apparently not. They ruled that the Department of Education exceeded its authority and shut the program down. 

Biden immediately announced an alternate legal avenue for doing the same thing. I suppose they had Plan B waiting in the wings just in case. I'm sure this will also be challenged so we shall see. 

No comments: