Sunday, December 20, 2020

Systemic Racism, Again

I've listened to the idea of Systemic Racism and, to be honest, I'm skeptical for two reasons. 

The first is that everything pointed to as Systemic Racism are effects. They're not causes. The links between the effects and the causes are never addressed. It's just assumed. 

Here's an example. Blacks are charged higher interest rates on loans than whites. That's always put on the table as Systemic Racism. Unfortunately blacks default on loans more often than whites and that's WHY they're charged higher rates. 

The second is that the concept of Systemic Racism is non-falsifiable. If someone points to A and says look, this is Systemic Racism and someone else points out that B is actually the cause of A then B becomes Systemic Racism and so on and so forth. In my example in the previous paragraph the counter argument would be that blacks default more often because of Systemic Racism. 

See how that works?

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist. It obviously does. But is it systemic? I'm having trouble buying into that. I'm not claiming that it doesn't exist. I'm just not convinced that it does.

No comments: