I was reading an article about why there was no Social Security (SS) Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) this year and strategies one could follow to offset a future lack of COLA increases.
The article wasn't terribly informative but, as usual, the comments were.
I understand that a lot of people are angry but their anger is based largely upon misunderstandings.
Let's start with an observation. People are pissed off at "people in Washington." I can understand that but before you allow that anger to drive your actions learn how the system works.
It's amazing now many people believe things are are just not true.
- Illegal immigrants don't collect SS. As a matter of fact they pay about $15 billion a year into SS without any hope of ever collecting benefits.
- Obama doesn't control how money is spent. Obama didn't give illegal immigrants a raise because illegal immigrants collect no benefits. Besides, Congress would have to approve any such allocation.
- Medicaid is not paid out of the SS fund. There is separate federal/state funding for Medicaid.
- No one except Congress with approval by the President can divert money from the SS fund and the only diversion this year was into the disability fund which has been a part of SS since its inception in 1935.
- People aren't getting Obamacare for free.
- If you have a retiree health insurance plan from the state or the military these plans require you to have Medicare A and B and provide a Medicare supplement. SS is not forcing you to pay for something (Medicare) that you don't use.
Now, in general terms people are angry because they vaguely understand that Congress isn't giving them any help. Well, who's fault is that? The re-election rate for Congress is 96%. If you're looking for someone to blame, look in the mirror.
You don't like the way things are? Do you have any idea how your Congressman stands on the things you don't like? Do you even fucking know who your Congressman is?