Tuesday, February 25, 2014

So what about Michael Sam?

In case you've been in a coma for the last few weeks, Michael Sam is the defensive end from Missouri that came out as gay. What makes this so interesting is that Sam is a potential NFL draft pick.

I say "potential" because his numbers at the NFL Combine have been at best average. If he is drafted it will probably be in one of the later rounds. His chances of making an NFL roster would be probably about 50-50 at best.

This is of course is without taking into account his coming out.

Do I think his announcement will improve his chances? I doubt it. I saw an interview with Jason Garrett, Head Coach of the Cowboys, where he was asked about Sam. Garrett simply said that they would evaluate him as they would any other football player to determine if he would help the team.

Garrett is a straight up sort of guy (even if he is a Cowboy) and I believe that he was being completely honest.

Will everyone have that sort of attitude? I really have no idea but the NFL is such a huge business that I find it very hard to believe a team would pass up a player they thought could help them win just because he's gay.

No comments: