Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Immigration Reform

I don't really have a horse in this race so the issue is not very high up on my list of priorities.

I vaguely think I would like to see a path to citizenship for those folks that have been here a reasonable amount of time, say five to ten years, are gainfully employed and have no criminal record beyond simple traffic violations in the time they've been here.

I also think knowing English should be a pre-requisite as well as paying some sort of fine and renouncing any and all ties to their home countries. In other words, no dual citizenships.

I'd also like to see some way to limit the amount of money these people can send back to their home country to support whomever. I'm not sure how you do that, or if it's even legal, but I have a feeling there should be some rules about it.

Since the recession the illegal immigration issue appears to have subsided but that doesn't mean it couldn't become a problem again in the future. Along with immigration reform we need to shore up security along the border to insure we don't end up right back here again in thirty years.

No comments: