Sunday, August 16, 2009

Health Care Again

It’s certainly the big topic for August so you will excuse me if I indulge myself.

First, let’s talk about Obama’s Health Care reform. I have two fundamental concerns that no one has yet been able to address. I just can’t shake the feeling that we’re rushing into this with first compiling all the facts and considering all the implications. It just feels rushed to me.

I would have preferred a blue ribbon, bipartisan committee study for at least six months, and perhaps a year, that would have published a report and recommendations. If nothing else it might have held the lunatic fringe in place.

The other problem I have is that I’m not convinced this isn’t coming with a big bill attached to it and, as far as I know, no has yet explained exactly how it’s going to be paid for. This could also have been part of the report.

Now let’s talk about obesity. I’m 6’1” and weigh about 201 lbs. That gives me a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 26.5. Therefore, according to the National Institute of Health, I’ve officially overweight. Any BMI between 25 and 29.9 is overweight. Any BMI 30 and above is obese.

In order to get to “normal” weight, I would have to lose 12 lbs and tip the scales at 189. I don’t know where the hell those 12 lbs would come from. I am by no stretch of the imagination fat. As a matter of fact, prior to 1985 I would have been normal because the cut off back then was 27.8 for men and 27.3 for women.

Uh-huh, how the hell can the same calculation work for males and females? You people have noticed that men tend to have more muscle tissue than women and muscle tends to be heavier haven’t you? I’m also a bit surprised there’s no adjustment for age.

It’s a little hard to take this seriously when one has so little faith in the measuring stick. I’ve decided to see if I can get to 189. I expect it to be more than a little difficult but we shall see.

No comments: