Monday, January 14, 2008

Crow is Good

Actually when you cover it with breadcrumbs and lightly brown it using a non-fat cooking oil it’s excellent. I should know, I get to eat enough of it after making any kind of NFL or political prediction.

I got one out of four of the NFL playoff games right last weekend. A goat choosing randomly by stomping on placards would be expected (68% probability) to get at least two right!

Ok, I was being a wise guy picking Jacksonville over New England but I honestly thought the Colts would take the Chargers and, as much as I love them, didn’t give my Giants much of a chance against a rested and healthy Cowboys team. I guess in this situation it wasn’t as much rested as it was rusty.

So now we move on to the Championship games and, as I still have some crow left over, I thought I would take this opportunity to embarrass myself again.

Tom Brady has made me a believer. An offense led by Brady can afford a shaky defense simply by putting more points on the board than the defense can give up. What’s the old saying? Oh yeah, the best defense is a good offense.

The best shot for a letdown was the first playoff game. The chances dive bomb from there. New England sends San Diego home and moves on to the bowl.

That brings me to the Giants and Packers. Every piece of logic says that Brett Favre and the Packers should easily brush aside the Giants and head for a showdown with New England. Favre must be licking his chops over the chance to play against the battered and bruised Giant secondary. Hell, they had a practice squad guy named Geoffrey Pope, who had been cut by the 1-15 Miami Dolphins for Pete’s sake, playing during the 4th quarter in Dallas. They’re also expecting temperatures to be in the single digits and Manning is not at his best in the cold (which could a problem playing in Northern New Jersey). Then again is anybody at his best is near zero temperatures? That kind of cold can be a great leveler. Add to those worries the fact that Green Bay, as opposed to a Dallas team which didn’t look sharp at the end of the season, looked like razor blades against the Seahawks. Anything can happen in the cold, but there are too many factors against them for the Giant’s road show to continue, I have to go with Favre and the Packers.

That would mean a Packers vs. Patriots Super Bowl headlining possibly the two best quarterbacks in NFL history. That would be a game for the ages. I’ll take the Packers.

No comments: