Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Flap over Cartoons

Maybe I should consider Copenhagen rather than Amsterdam?

The Muslim world is in an uproar over the publication of cartoons depicting Mohammed which first appeared in a Danish newspaper, were reprinted by the French daily France Soir and now are appearing in other European newspapers as a sort of struggle between “free speech” and “religious taboos.”

An editorial in France Soir observed “Imagine a society that added up all the prohibitions of different religions. What would remain of the freedom to think, to speak and even to come and go?"

Yeah, that’s true enough, but is there a line which shouldn’t be crossed? I’d be the first to say that criticizing religious beliefs is ok. The idea that somehow criticizing religion is impolite and should be avoided under any circumstances is one of the defense mechanisms that religion has established over the centuries which stack the deck in its favor.

But is there a difference between criticism and ridicule? Sometimes criticism can take the form of ridicule but there is also ridicule for the sake of ridicule. Is there some line that shouldn’t be crossed?

I think each of us has his own line that he won’t cross, but that’s a personal thing. You can’t establish any general rule because once you try to do so you run into the problem of who decides what’s acceptable and what isn’t? I adamantly reject the idea that somehow it’s in the ear of the recipient and statements which offend anybody should be avoided. That’s Political Correctness run amuck.

Since I’m not willing to surrender my right to decide what is appropriate and what isn’t, the only possible approach is anything goes. However, I reserve the right to criticize what you choose to say. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Three or four hundred years of preachers raining fire and brimstone down upon us with impunity is enough.

As for these particular cartoons, I managed to locate them on the Brussels Journal web site and found them to be pretty tame. I just loved the one shown above about trying to stop the suicide bombings because paradise ran out of virgins.

In an impromptu Internet poll, some 83% of the respondents said that the Muslim reaction was unjustified. I’ve also noticed that American editorials and politicians are sort of keeping their mouths shut on this one which, in my opinion, is a little cowardly. I’ll bet you if the cartoons were ridiculing Jesus and Christianity, the howls of outrage would be deafening from some quarters.

Which is perfectly ok, no one says anyone has to accept criticism or ridicule of their beliefs quietly. Howling in indignation is perfectly acceptable. Yelling for censorship or punishment so people can’t say things you don’t like in the future, isn’t.

The foundation of free speech is the idea that while I may not agree with what you say, I'll defend your right to say it. I defend the right of the Danes, the Norwegians and even the French to criticize, ridicule and even blaspheme if they choose to do so. Which may be the first positive thing I've ever found to say about the French.

I don't expect the religious among us to like the idea. As a matter of fact I'd be terribly disappointed if people like the Christian Right in the U.S. weren't totally pissed off over it.

No comments: