Thursday, November 17, 2005

Denying the Holocaust

Let’s get one thing straight right off the top, I think anyone that denies that the Holocaust, the murder of some 6 million Jews by the Nazis in WW II, is either seriously misguided, a fascist or an idiot.

That being said, I’m absolutely stunned by a report in the Associated Press that David Irving, a sort of rump historian from the UK, was ARRESTED in Austria and charged with denying the Holocaust!

In seems the Austrians have a law against that and Irving could face up to 20 years in prison.

This is Political Correctness run amuck. I have my problems with Irving’s apparent admiration for Hitler as well as the position he takes in his book “Hitler’s War” that Hitler may have been unaware of what his underlings, especially Himmler, were up to, and that the extent of the Holocaust was less than believed, BUT I’m not about to throw him in jail for it!

On the plus side, there is some doubt as to whether there are sufficient legal grounds for continuing to hold Irving so many years after the “crimes” occurred. Read that, he wrote the damn book over a decade ago.

Excuse me while I go curl up with my copy of the 1st Amendment.

No comments: