Thursday, September 08, 2005

Schwarzenegger to Veto Gay Marriage Bill

Several defeats for gay marriage yesterday. First Governor Schwarzenegger (I have to admit I still snicker when I say or write that!) announced his intention to veto the Gay Marriage bill passed by the legislature. The governor said that he felt the bill was counter to the will of the people as demonstrated in an initiative five years ago that prevents California from recognizing Gay Marriages from other states. However he still feels that "gay couples are entitled to full protection under the law and should not be discriminated against based upon their relationship." Just as long as they can't get married huh Arnie?

Second, in Massachusetts, the state attorney general ruled a proposed ballot initiative that would ban same-sex marriages would be permitted under a section of the Massachusetts Constitution allowing voters to overturn court decisions. Conservative groups can now work on getting the initiative on the 2008 ballot.

I still don't understand what the problem is here. Seriously, is this strictly a "my morality" vs "your morality" issue? I can understand the opposition to abortion; I can understand favoring the death penalty; I can even sort of understand the issue with stem cell research, but active opposition to same-sex marriages has me totally baffled.

No comments: