Monday, September 19, 2005

HBO's Rome, Episode 4

Ok, ok, so I'm becoming addicted to this program. It's been a long time since I watched any TV show with any consistancy. As a matter of fact, except for movies and sports, I don't watch much TV at all. I certainly don't watch network TV and even the Sopranos didn't hook me, but I'm a sucker for historical costume epics like this one.

Lots of interesting developments. In the historical subplot, Caesar's epilepsy has been revealed at least to Octavian and Octavian immediately recognizes the ploy of extending the offer of a truce which the Senate could accept but Pompey could not. Nothing like driving a wedge between your enemies.

We met Calpurnia for the first time. Seems like they're going to present her as a total non-entity since Caeser shacks up with Servilia. No real surprise there. BUT, Atia seemed surprised and upset over the Caeser & Servilia match-up. You don't suppose she had designs on her uncle do you? Designs as a path to power. It's clear Atia loves only herself. On a different front Atia appears concerned with Octavian's "feminine" character. In other words he's not raping every slave girl in sight.

Marc Antony is coming a little more into focus as a real low life sort of guy. Vorenus' venture into the merchant business takes a bad turn with the breaking of a god's statue. Given Vorenus' superstitious nature, perhaps he'll take Antony up on his offer to rejoin the 13th Legion? Although Antony appeared a little ticked at Vorenus' initial refusal, but he doesn't strike me as the type to let a little thing like that stand in the way of what he needs.

As for Pullo, he shows up at Vorenus' place tossing gold around at the precise moment that Pompey's son Quintus is holding a knife to Vorenus' throat and asking where the temple gold is. Pullo and Vorenus make short work of Quintus and his boys and Vorenus convinces Pullo to turn the gold over to Caeser! Well maybe, but not without helping myself to a few souvenirs first.

So what's with this girl Pullo rescued from the wagon? She's been in two episodes now and has yet to say a word. I suspected she would develop into a love interest for Pullo. Is she a mute? Am I wrong?

How come Marc Antony gets all the good quotes? Samples this week include "Blood is blood" and "Foolish as a priest."

I also checked up on my recollection that in Caesar's Commentaries both Vorenus and Pullo were simple legionaires. I was wrong, they were both centurions. The story can be found in Book V, paragraph XLIV.

Let's face it, this is a glorified soap opera, but I'm willing to admit that I'm enjoying every minute of it.

No comments: