Friday, September 03, 2021

I'm Depressed

I didn't think I could suffer from depression. I was wrong.

Things have gotten bad enough that I'm feeling really bad. I woke up this morning wit only my wife's car's air conditioning to worry about. That has sort of worked its way out.

But things went down hill from there. 

My grandson started kindergarten and came home with a fever. Hopefully it's nothing but it has me worried.

I've also been exchanging comments with people on YouTube and the Washington Post. The conversations on the Post used to be polite. People could disagree and not be nasty about it. That's no longer the case.

YouTube has always been iffy. But talking about Covid and the vaccines has gotten me completely out of whack. The ignorance is scary; the fact that these ignorant people are so certain they're right is downright terrifying.

It never ceases to amaze me that people will reject what doctors and other experts tell them but will believe what some crazy on the internet tells them.

Here's the key. If someone says something along the lines of "based upon what we know then A," then they're probably trustworthy. This is especially true it they're willing to share the data that they're basing their conclusion on.

If someone tells you something along the lines of "the answer is definitely B and anyone who tells you different is up to nefarious things," then watch out. This is especially true is they're not sharing the basis of their conclusion.

I understand people like certainty. But often life isn't that simple and things can change as new information is discovered.

Anyway, I'm retiring from commenting on any platform. It's not worth the trouble. I'm too old for this shit.

Edit: My grandson's fever is gone and his Covid test was negative so that's the best news I've had in a while. I also couldn't resist a view YouTube comments but on mostly non-controversial topics although these days it feels like everything is controversial.

No comments: