Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter 2009

Well, another Easter has arrived but it’s pretty much business as usual for a Sunday as far as I can see. I can remember when Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving were days where pretty much everything was closed. If you hadn’t remembered to fill up with gas the day before, you could be in trouble. I was a smoker in those days and I remember having a hard time getting a pack of cigarettes if I’d forgotten to put in a supply.

Today I see little or no difference from a normal Sunday. Even my local Rite-Aid (nee Eckerd) is open. Is this just another indication of the decline of religion in general, and Christianity in particular, in the country?

Probably, but unlike Newsweek I’m not quite ready to start declaring a Post-Christian America just yet.

It will come eventually, but it’s not going to be an easy road nor a short one. Fundamentalist Christianity is taking a bit of a pounding at the moment but the beast is far from dead. I’m sure there’s a ways to before we’re safe from the idiocy of religion.

But that’s doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy Easter. Now where did I put those chocolate eggs?

No comments: