Monday, September 14, 2020

So What About the Election?

I have this feeling of deja vu all over again.

The Dems will probably hold the House, the GOP will probably hold the Senate and I have no idea about the presidential race.

Biden leads but Trump seems to be inching closer. Again the trends are not that encouraging.

Given the revelation from the Woodward interview that Trump admitted lying about the possible severity of the Corona Virus he SHOULD be a dead duck but the issues that got him elected in the first place are still there.

Personally both sides strike me as bat shit crazy but for different reasons. 

Trump's legions seem quite happy with the idea of ditching democracy and anointing Trump leader despite the fact that he's clearly incompetent. 

Trump has implied that if he loses he won't accept the results. He has also implied that he will use the courts to disenfranchise as many mail-in as he feels necessary if he's ahead early. Just the other day he began talking about "negotiating" a third term which the 22nd Amendment sort of prohibits.

I say "sort of prohibits" because it says you can't be ELECTED more than twice. Perhaps not bothering with a messy election is what Trump means by "negotiating." One wonders how the Army would react to that?

On the left, if I hear the phrases "white privilege" or "systemic racism" many more times I'm going to consider moving someplace warm. I just don't know where that would be.

I would still go with Biden and Harris for no other reason than I think they're safer on my big three issues which are (1) the separation of church and state, (2) abortion access and (3) LGBTQ rights.

I'm closer to the Republicans on law and order, skepticism on "systemic racism" and my distaste for the current incantation of feminism.

No comments: