Monday, March 09, 2020

Biden or Sanders?

If you had told me four or five months ago that we'd be down to a choice between two geriatric white dudes I would have said that you were out of your mind.

But now I suspect we’re faced with a choice of either Sanders or Biden. I’m going to speculate that the stock market carnage over the past couple of weeks has significantly reduced Sanders’ chances.

When people have lost lots of value in their investments and 401Ks telling folks you’re going to raise their taxes, even if you’re saying overall they’ll be better off, is a really hard sell. So I have to believe it’s going to be Uncle Joe.

Another couple of months of economic chaos and we’ll have a full blown recession, assuming that’s not guaranteed already (and that may be the least of our worries). 

If that happens, and it looks pretty bad right now, I don't think anything is going to save Trump, not even a gaffe a day from Biden.

Biden is 77 and should be smart enough to understand that he will need to rely heavily upon his cabinet and vice president.

So I’m thinking the VP choice could be REALLY important. I’m also almost certain that it has to be a woman. A Latina would be best but I’m not aware of any with enough stature right now. It won’t be Warren because she smells too much like Sanders. Given that Harris jumped on Biden’s bandwagon so quickly I have to believe she’s one likely choice.

Beyond Harris, I'm not sure. I think Klobuchar is too similar. I suppose Kirsten Gillibrand is a possibility but you don't want both candidates from the Northeast. Julian Castro would be an interesting choice if Biden decides not to go with a woman.

There's also Stacey Abrams from Georgia. She has a trifecta going for her. She's female, Black and from a state that the Democrat would love to see go purple or even blue this time around.

I suppose we'll see what we see assuming the virus doesn't get us first.

No comments: