Saturday, March 14, 2020

The Corona Virus March 14, 2020

There are currently 2,970 reported cases in the US and 58 reported deaths. That's an increase of 681 cases and 8 deaths. I've changed the nomenclature to "reported" since apparently I'm getting a mix of "presumed positive" and "confirmed positive" on the website I'm monitoring but it seems that a very high percentage of "presumed" become "confirmed."

Washington has 642 cases and 40 deaths.
New York has 613 cases and 2 deaths.
California has 368 cases and 5 deaths.

Here in New Jersey we have 69 cases and 2 deaths.

Things are slowly but surely shutting down. The problem is these are all local decisions. There is little or no direction from the top either at the federal or state levels other than the basic guidance that's been around for weeks.

The Mayor of Teaneck, which appears to be something of an epicenter here in Bergen County, has asked everyone to self quarantine. How many will listen is anyone's guess.

My gym has closed down so I've ordered an indoor exercise bike. It should be here in about a week. That cursing you hear will be me trying to put it together.

Mayor DeBlasio is still insisting on keeping the schools in the city open. I think this a big mistake which is going to cause problems all across the tri-state area.

The test numbers are beginning to go up which may partially explain the rising numbers but that remains to be seen.

Northern Italy is in a shutdown mode. France and Spain are in partial shutdown modes. I suspect New York City needs to do something similar.

In the meantime it's allergy season so I've got itchy eyes and a slight runny nose. I keep hoping that's not a sore throat that I feel coming on or things could get sticky.

No comments: