Monday, March 21, 2011

Filming of The Hobbit finally begins

The often delayed prequel to The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, has started filming in New Zealand. I have to admit though I’m a bit confused about the inclusion of Cate Blanchett as Galadrial, Elijah Wood as Frodo and Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown as none of these characters appear in The Hobbit.

In The Hobbit Tolkien’s world is much less developed. Elrond’s Rivendell and the Kingdom of the Dwarves are the major overlaps. Even The Shire is not terribly developed. I don’t even think it’s called The Shire.

Then again, nobody ever accused Peter Jackson of staying with the original material so who the hell knows what we’ll get.

Martin Freeman gets the title role as Bilbo Baggins which sounds like a fine choice to me. I wonder if they will have all 13 dwarves or cut the list down? So far I’ve only heard about Balin and Nori and Kili. I also saw a reference to Thror and Thrain which means there will be flashbacks in the movie. Perhaps that’s where Galadrial comes in as well.

How close Jackson stays to The Hobbit should give us plenty to argue about in December of 2012 and 2013 when the movies are expected to be released. This is assuming of course that the country doesn’t descend into civil war before then and I haven’t kicked the bucket yet.

No comments: