Monday, March 14, 2011

Japan

All I can say is ouch.

An 8.9 earthquake and a massive tidal wave has completely devastated the northeast coast of the country. The official death toll is at 2,800 but the fear is that it’s going to go higher, much higher.

Then there’s the nuclear power plant in Fukushima that is threatening a meltdown. There have already been several explosions and the U.S. has repositioned the U.S.S Ronald Reagan for fear of radioactive contamination. Supposedly an exposure of the fuel rods has already occurred although, supposedly, the radiation levels are still within acceptable levels. I having a bit of trouble understanding exactly how that could be the case when helicopter crews from the Reagan had to be decontaminated.

I sent $200 to the Red Cross which is like completely inadequate. I’ll probably send more later in the week. There’s not much else I can do. What an absolute mess.

No comments: