Thursday, February 26, 2009

The President’s Speech and Plans

The speech was great (can you say FDR revisited?) but the plans strike me as a bit shaky.

What I was expecting was more of a “we have a problem and that’s going to mean sacrifices” sort of pitch. What I got was a “we shall overcome and we’re not going to let this slow us down” sort of pitch.

If I heard what he said, the Federal Government is going to (1) spend lots of money to create jobs, (2) become something of a super lending underwriter in order to get lending cash flowing again, (3) make available additional college loans based upon a promise by the recipients to serve the country either in a military of civilian capacity, (4) cut taxes for 95% of American families, (4) move out on the long term problems of energy independence, health care and education reform AND cut the Federal deficit by a healthy chunk during the Presidents first term.

You will excuse me but does this mean a Secretary of Magic is about to be appointed because I don’t see how you do all of these things simultaneously.

I do think that you need to do something and the Administration is taking action. I’m just not in a position to judge if it’s the right action.

In the meantime the Republicans appear to be doing everything possible to set up roadblocks. There’s even a rumor that some Republican governors may choose not to take stimulus package money.

I don’t know how to say this but this strikes me as hoping the country will come apart at the seams so they can say “I told you so” and gain the inside track in the next election.

So again, party politics is more important than the welfare of the country. That whirring sound you hear is Dwight Eisenhower and Barry Goldwater spinning in their graves.

As for Governor Bobby Jindal’s response, I have to wonder what planet this guy lives on. I got two messages from his speech. The first was “cut taxes and let private industry handle it” and the second was “look how great we’re doing in Louisiana.”

Private industry, when the economy was doing well, didn’t address the problems of energy independence, health care and education reform so why should anyone expect it to now when money is tight? Private industry in the U.S. simply doesn’t have the long term view required to address these problems without government encouragement and financing.

As for Louisiana, are you kidding me Jindal? You’re the governor of a state that ranks at the bottom in just about everything starting with murder rate and health. I suggest you look to your own house and try and get Louisiana up to about number 45 or so before you start telling anyone else how to do things.

They say one of the first things you should do in the event of social upheaval is to buy a shotgun to protect you and yours. I’m beginning to consider it.

No comments: