Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Here Comes the Mud

If you can’t win on the issues, resort to character assassination. I have to assume that’s advice right out of the politician’s handbook

The new McCain strategy is to attack Barack Obama personally or at least to attack some of his associations. McCain has Palin acting as attack dog and over the last two days Clueless from Alaska has described Obama’s association with former Weatherman Bill Ayers as “he pals around with terrorists.” Palin has also attacked Obama for his association with good old Reverend Wright.

*Yawn*. Haven’t we been down this road before? Obama has denounced Wright’s racist statements and left his congregation. He’s also repudiated Ayers Weather Underground activities. Activities I might point out that Ayers participated in 40 years ago when Obama was 8 years old.

Please tell me that people in this country aren’t stupid enough to be taken in by this kind of nonsense? Clearly the Republicans think they are. Personally I feel insulted.

If I was a woman, the so-called primary target of Palin’s current push, I’d really feel insulted. Sarah Palin is opposed to everything the feminist movement has fought for and accomplished over the past 40 years. The Republicans seem to think the Hillary fans are going to toss all of that out the window and vote for Palin just because they can empathize with her as a woman.

I don’t believe the female half of the population is that dumb.

There are real issues for the future on which the two candidates and the two parties stand miles apart. Too bad we can’t talk about them.

I’m no fan of George Bush (how’s THAT for an understatement). I think he’s a moron with flawed judgment who’s incapable of understanding the potential implications of his actions. A guy who goes with what he believes rather than what the evidence says and a man who doesn’t mind lying if he thinks he has to in order to advance what he considers a greater good. His policies have been a disaster from which the country may never recover.

However, I can’t honestly say I’ve ever felt a personal dislike for the guy. For McCain and Palin on the other hand, I’m really beginning to develop a personal distaste. I’m sure I’ll get over it, but I’m just not sure when.

No comments: