Thursday, August 24, 2006

The JonBenet Ramsey Case

So now, after almost 10 years, the police have a suspect.

I'm not a JonBenet case junkie. Certainly I'm aware of the case and I'm familier with the general outline. When I first heard about the "child beauty pagents," which are apparently rather common in some parts of the country, I almost choked. As the father of three daughters I couldn't imagine anything more degrading that someone could do to a child.

Like many people I developed an instant dislike for the Ramseys and especially for the mother. As the media and the authorities seemed convinced that they were somehow resposible for their daughter's death, I sort of accepted that it was just a matter of time before the case was cleared up with one, or both, sent to prison.

As it turned out, everyone that was ready to draw and quarter the parents, was wrong. I'm still a bit mystified how a six year old can get from her bedroom to the basement, either voluntarilly or by being forced, without either of the parents waking up. Be that as it may, clearly sleeping too soundly is about the only crime, other than the crime of degrading their child by having her participate in child beauty pagents, that the Ramseys are guilty of.

Now we have a confession from someone called John Mark Karr who claims that he "accidentally" killed JonBenet. Accidentally? What the hell was he doing in the house? Karr is clearly a wacko. The question is was he in fact involved in the death of JonBenet, is he imagining things or is he simply in search of his 15 minutes of fame?

I assume that the Boulder Prosecutor has something other than this guy's confession to go on here. I'll guess we'll learn more in the coming weeks.

No comments: