Thursday, August 24, 2006

No More Pluto?

Mickey will be devastated. Astronomers meeting in Prague and discussing guidelines for what is a planet and what isn't a planet have demoted poor Pluto. There are now, according to the Prague group, only eight planets in the solar system.

I say that this is clearly a capitalist plot aimed at artificially inflating the price of planetary real estate for nefarious purposes. All true sons (and daughters) of the solar system should rise up in outrage (cue the playing of the Nationale) until Pluto has been returned to its rightful place!

Nah, only kidding. I guess they're trying to avoid having to declare a whole slew of Kuiper Belt objects planets. Still, I think they could have justified Pluto's status for historical reasons. What am I going to get from my very educated mother now?

No comments: