Wednesday, July 22, 2020

On Removing Statues

I have modified my position a bit and arrived at what I think are some truisms.

The fundamental insanity of the extreme left is the quest for perfection from imperfect beings and institutions.

The fundamental insanity of the extreme right is the belief that they're better than everyone else and therefore entitled to exploit everyone else.

I'm opposed to removing statues of the founding fathers even though they were imperfect men. We can acknowledge their imperfections while still honoring the things they did.

I'm in favor of removing statues, or anything else, honoring the Confederacy or the political leaders of the Confederacy. The purpose of the Confederacy was to preserve slavery and there's nothing to honor about that.

I'm opposed to the removal of memorials to common soldiers of the Confederacy such as those at Gettysburg. Why soldiers fight is complicated and the men in the front lines are often among the greatest victims of war.

Confederate generals are sort of in between. Lee, Jackson, Hood and Stuart were soldiers but they were also leaders. I also suspect that many of the statues to these men are monuments not so much to the soldier as to the cause of the Confederacy. So now I don't have a problem with taking them down.

No comments: