Thursday, July 23, 2020

On a History of Slavery

All of a sudden I see articles about wringing their hands and obsessing over their ancestors owning slaves.

Well, my people were in Italy and Austria-Hungary when slavery was a thing so I'm pretty sure they never owned anyone. I hear that one of my ancestors fought at the siege of Vienna though so maybe I should go and kick a Muslim?

What they're talking about was over 200 years ago and it was a different time with different mores. Learning from history is one thing but not letting it go is something else again.

No, our current issues are not the fault of slavery or even Jim Crow. They're the fault of drugs, guns, poverty and the simple fact that in many cases it takes two working parents to make ends meet. I could also throw in the lack of access to adequate health care and the lack of access to adequate education.

How about we focus on today and tomorrow rather than yesterday?

No comments: