Tuesday, May 08, 2012

42% of Americans Could be Obese by 2030

Yeah, and the Chicago Cubs could win a World Series by then too.

Ok, obesity in the U.S. is a problem, but how do you decide what’s going to happen in 20 years? Current estimates say that about 34% of Americans are obese, that is they have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 or greater, and about 5% are morbidly obese, they have a BMI of 40 or greater.

The report, from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, based upon a number of factors, believes the rate could become 42% obese and 11% morbidly obese by 2030. The problem, aside from ascetics, are the additional health issues associated with being severely overweight and the pressure those issues would bring on an already overtaxed and costly health care system.

I also saw another article claiming safety concerns. Apparently regulations for airline seats and seat belts and automobile seat belts are way out of date and are left over from when the average weight was 20 lbs less than today.

Great, that means in heavy turbulence, the severely overweight gentleman three rows back could become a lethal missile. Do I really need to be worried about this sort of stuff?

Getting back to the obesity rates, I got a bit curious and got out my handy BMI calculator. I’m currently 6’1” and 192 lbs. That gives me a BMI of 25.3. Since 25 is the limit, that means I’m slightly overweight. This is down from a record high of 210 lbs, a BMI of 27.7, last September so I understand how easy it can be to balloon up if you’re not careful.

Still, to get to obese, I would have to weigh 228 lbs and, to get to morbidly obese, a whopping 304 lbs. I’d have to really let myself go so I guarantee you I won’t ever be in one of those two categories.

I do understand however how easy it can be to put on the pounds. I hit my high after a week at the Jersey Shore enjoying breakfast and dinner buffets. It seems like restaurant meals get larger and larger and snacks tastier and tastier and more accessible.

I like cookies and potato chips but I rarely eat cookies and potato chips. I eats nuts and string cheese instead. Ok, occasionally I’ll get myself a bag of Lay’s Baked Ruffles or Jalapeno Jack Sun Chips or, if I’m really bad, a bag of Lay’s Kettle Chips, but I feel guilty for days afterwards.

It’s hard, but you have to fight.

Seriously, I feel much better at 200 lbs or less. Can I get below 189 where I’d have to get for a BMI of under 25? Probably not, but I’m happy if I can stay around 195 lbs.

Being 63 doesn’t help and sitting at a computer all day doesn’t help either. My metabolism tends to be on siesta most of the day. Hitting the gym 5-6 times a week should help although I’ve seen some arguments that exercise doesn’t really help in weight control. I find that hard to believe.

So what’s the point (other than giving myself a bit of a pat on the back)? I’m not sure. But like most problems, first we have to get comfortable talking about it.

No comments: