Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Peyton Manning

As an ardent NFL fan I was very much interested in where Peyton Manning would play next season.

Originally I thought it might be Miami or the Jets to set up twice yearly confrontations with Tom Brady. But the Jets, correctly I think, stuck with Mark Sanchez and the Dolphins are just too dysfunctional a franchise right now to attract a Peyton Manning.

For a while I thought it might be the Redskins but, again, they made the right move by trading up in the draft for Robert Griffin III. I should be spending many future afternoons watching the Giants defense chasing him all over MetLife Stadium.

It finally seemed to come down to the Titans, Broncos and 49ers.

I still think the 49ers were the best option as the most Super Bowl ready team. After watching them in them in the NFC Championship game it was clear their biggest question mark was Alex Smith at quarterback.

Don’t get me wrong, Smith is a decent quarterback, but Manning, assuming he’s healthy, would have been a significant upgrade especially with the addition of Mario Manningham as a target. I think Manningham needs an “I got it all under control” QB like Peyton or his brother Eli. I’m not sure Smith is there yet after the years of crap he’s been handed in SF.

But what do I know? Manning decided that Denver was the place for him.

That sort of extended the soap opera because now the question becomes what happens to Terrific Tim Tebow? The latest rumor is he goes to either Jacksonville or the Jets. The Jets!? You can’t do that to that nice boy. I can see it now, Broadway Tim Tebow, hanging out in all the NYC best places.

I suspect it will be Jacksonville though since Tim wants to go home.

As for Peyton, the pressure to bring a championship to Denver is going to be enormous. In 2012, since they won the division in 2011, the Broncos get Houston and New England in addition to the six games against divisional opponents, the AFC North and the NFC South. The Chargers, who I suspect will be their primary antagonist in the AFC West, get the Jets and Titans instead.

It should be interesting to watch. I’m already assuming the Giants will have a big down year next year, as they always seem to do after winning a championship, so I’ll need something to keep me amused.

In 2013 the Broncos get the NFC East. The Giants should be resurgent by then, Robert Griffin III should be coming into his own and the Eagles and Cowboys should be pretty tough as well. If the Eagles don’t win it all in 2012 they should be downright wide-eyed and foaming at the mouth by 2013.

The Super Bowl for the 2013 season is also at MetLife Stadium. Now wouldn't it be something if Peyton won a ring in Eli's house?

No comments: