Monday, March 05, 2012

Iran, Israel and Nukes

I’d prefer Iran not to have nuclear weapons. I also prefer India and Pakistan not to have nuclear weapons. As a matter of fact, I wish nobody had nuclear weapons.

Unfortunately, nuclear weapons exist and I can understand Iran’s desire to have them. Of course allowing a Theocracy to have nukes may well be the worst idea in the history of civilization.

On the other hand, starting another war in the middle east doesn’t strike me as a very good idea either.

I find it hard to believe that even Iran’s mullahs would be suicidal enough to use nuclear weapons except as a last resort. The bigger danger is a fanatical group getting their hands on a small nuke and getting it to Tel Aviv or New York and, the more countries that have nukes, the more likely something like that could happen.

Israel seriously needs to keep it in their pants and let the economic sanctions being put in place have a chance to work. Enough with the saber rattling.

If they act on their own, then I say we leave them to fight it out by themselves while working to restore peace as quickly as possible. I’m not willing to fight a war over what might well be an imagined threat. Have we forgotten the “weapons of mass destruction” fiasco already?

No comments: