Thursday, April 01, 2010

Yup, I’m Tired Too

Snopes.com had an article about an essay written by Robert Hall, a 63 year old ex-marine and ex-Massachusetts state senator, about things he’s tired of.

I don’t disagree with a lot of what he says. I especially agree with his observations about this attitude of entitlement that seems pervasive these days. The Declaration of Independence says you have the right to pursue happiness, but there’s no guarantee you’ll catch it.

Some of the other stuff however is typical right wing crap including diatribes about the biased liberal media, taking wealth from workers for those lazy welfare cheats and some mumblings about latte Liberals and how wonderful Fox News is.

So, I figured what the hell, maybe I should talk about what I’m tired of.

I'm tired of people being suckered in by what Fox News, the Republicans and the Right Wing commentators tell them. I'm tired of people quoting the 0.1% case as if it were common. I'm tired of voodoo economics and other right wing bullshit. I'm tired of people not checking their facts before making grandiose assertions. I'm tired of 10% of the population controlling 70% of the nation’s wealth.

I'm tired of hearing people who claim to be Patriots propose scrapping fundamental American principles like the separation of church and state. I'm tired of watching the corporate CEOs fleece the American working and middle class while those being fleeced cheer them on because they've been duped into thinking that somehow this is a good thing. I'm tired of having Christianity shoved in my face and being told this is a Christian nation. I'm tired of defending the teaching of evolution at school boards because back woods rubes can't understand the difference between science and religion.

I'm tired of opinion replacing facts and beliefs replacing knowledge. I'm tired of ignorance and stupidity being looked upon as virtues while being educated is vilified.

I'm tired of drunken assholes being allowed to own and carry loaded guns. I'm tired of being ranked with third world countries in effectiveness of Health Care and infant mortality. I'm tired of the war in Iraq where our troops were sent in with inadequate numbers, inadequate equipment and an inadequate strategic objective. I'm tired of the United States being at the bottom of the industrial world in student achievement while the Texas school board tries to rewrite history in its ultra-conservative image.

I'm tired of people pounding their chest about how wonderful they are while refusing to recognize that we have serious problems in this country that need resolution and I'm tired of those same people blocking those of us trying to solve those problems.

One last thing, I am utterly tired, as well as appalled, at hearing that a country that still has the largest thermonuclear arsenal in the world should seriously consider Sarah Palin as a viable presidential candidate.

No comments: