Monday, February 15, 2010

The Winter Olympics

I would say *yawn* except for Nodar Kumaritashvili, the Georgian Lugar killed in a practice run on Friday. To my mind the condition of that track, despite protests by Olympic officials to the contrary, was utterly unacceptable.

The officials have claimed that Nodar was “too inexperienced.” Well, if that’s the case, you should have some sort of qualifying trial before allowing someone onto a potentially deadly course.

No matter how you spin it, the Olympic and Luge officials, who should have been the older and wiser heads, failed in their responsibility. The fact that changes have in fact been made to the track speaks for itself. This should have been a great time in Nodar’s life. His death saddens me beyond any ability of mine to express.

As for the Olympics themselves, I’m not much of a fan. I never cared much for the Winter Olympics, perhaps because I never participated in any of the sports being played. I used to like the Summer Olympics more than I do now. I guess I’ve just gotten bored with the whole thing.

This is not to say they aren’t a great event, laden with the potential for great drama, they’re just not my cup of tea I guess.

No comments: